Originally known as Cille Cummein or Cummein's Church, Fort Augustus is situated on the shores of the southern bank of the world famous Loch Ness. Fort Augustus was named after William Augustus, son of George II. It is also the site of the old military barracks, the Fort having now been replaced by a Benedictine Abbey. The Caledonian Canal, which was designed and built by Thomas Telford and his chief engineer William Jessop, began its construction in 1804 and was completed in 1822. Cutting a swathe right through the Highlands, this formidable canal creates a water link from Inverness in the North East to Fort William in the South West along the Great Glen. The famous stepped lock gates at Fort Augustus (at the south end of Loch Ness) run through the centre of the village along the course of the river Oich. Telford moved the River Oich to accommodate the canal.  
       
   
Home Latest news Collections Gallery About Jayne Press archive Links Retailers Contact Jayne