Craigellachie Bridge is a cast iron arch bridge located in Speyside, Moray, Scotland at Craigellachie near the village of Arbelour. Designed by Thomas Telford, it was built between 1812-1814. The bridge spans the Spey river with a single arch of 150 ft. This elegant bridge was revolutionary for its time in the use of this single, slender arch, the employment of which was not normally possible using traditional masonry construction. Craigellachie Bridge has three stone arches of 15ft and a rise of 20 ft. The iron deck plates of the wide roadway are supported by a series of braced cruciform struts which are carried on four lattice arch ribs. At each end of this structure there are two high masonry mock-medieval towers, featuring arrow slits and miniature crenulated battlements. The bridge carried foot and vehicle traffic across the River Spey until 1972. Craigellachie Bridge is now in the stewardship of Moray Council as an outstanding historical and scenic amenity used by pedestrians and cyclists.  It was also the sight of a parade upon the amalgamation of The Gordon Highlanders and The Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) to form The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) in 1994. A commemorative plaque has been fitted to the bridge parapet to record this important historical event.

 
       
   
Home Latest news Collections Gallery About Jayne Press archive Links Retailers Contact Jayne