"Loco 7819 Hinton Manor"
Loco 7819 Hinton Manor is a former Royal Train engine, having conveyed HM The Queen between Barmouth and Chester in August 1963. In 1990 Hinton Manor conveyed HRH The Duke of Gloucester from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth for the official opening of the railway's boiler repair shop. The Duke drove 7819 for part of the journey. Loco 7819 was named after the manor house at Hinton near Oxford. Built in 1939, 7819 began life at Carmarthen, moving to Oswestry in July 1943. Hinton Manor last ran on the SVR in 1994, and worked out the final few weeks of its 10-year boiler certificate in September and October that year on loan to the Nene Valley Railway.
Hinton Manor covered more than 925,000 miles in main line service between 1939 and 1963 (when BR ceased to keep steam mileage records) and a further 71,867 miles in Severn Valley traffic and main line charters since. It is one of three GWR Collett 7800 Manor class locomotives based at the Severn Valley Railway. She was the last of the first batch of Manors to be built at Swindon in February ,1939. The Manor Class 4-6-0 mixed traffic locomotive was designed as a lighter version of the GWR Grange Class, giving a wider Route Availability. Loco 7819 spent most of its main line career on the Cambrian section, being based for the better part of 20 years at Oswestry (1943 - 1963), and subsequently at Shrewsbury, Machynlleth and Aberystwyth, and was regularly employed on the Shrewsbury - Pwllheli section of the Cambrian Coast Express.
SVRA Wolverhampton branch, was custodian of Loco 7819, until April 2004 when Hinton Manor was handed into the ownership of the Severn Valley Railway Rolling Stock Trust. The GWR manors all wore unlined black during the early fifties until they began to be painted lined green. As well as being distinctively attired in BR lined black livery during its last spell of operation (the livery worn between 1950 - 1957) Loco 7819 Hinton Manor, has also worn GWR plain green (with shirt-button logo), wartime plain black, and BR lined green (1957 - 1965). The BR built manors all entered traffic in lined black during the mid 1950's. The last manor to recieve the lined green livery was in February 1960. 7819 featured in an episode of the BBC drama series, "The Inspector Alleyn Mysteries", broadcast in 1993.
**ONLINE SHOP NOW OPEN**