Opened in 1854 between Bishop's Bridge Road and Praed Street, Paddington Station is another wonderful design example of the incredibly versatile Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Paddington was built as the terminus of The Great Western Railway in 1850 - 1854. The spectacular train shed has a glazed, iron girder roof with three bays, which have 189 decorative wrought iron ribs and are supported by a cast iron column every third rib. Brunel is remembered by a seated statue that can be seen beside the side entrance to platform 1. The children’s book character "Paddington Bear", who was often found at this station, was named after Paddington Station.
 
       
   
Home Latest news Collections Gallery About Jayne Press archive Links Retailers Contact Jayne