Situated near Llangollen, North Wales, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct was built by Thomas Telford in 1795. The bridge carries the Llangollen Canal over the valley of the River Dee. Originally, this was part of what was known as the Ellesmere Canal. Pontcysyllte takes its name from a triple arched bridge further up the river and literally translates as the bridge that connects the river. It is both the longest and highest cast iron aqueduct in the world. The first stone was laid on 25th July in 1795 and the construction took ten years to design and build. Pontcysyllte Aqueduct was opened on 26th November 1805 and cost over £47,000 to build. The canal is fed from the River Dee. The first commercial use of the aqueduct was to carry coal across the bridge. Today, narrow boats and walkers are frequently seen crossing this deep river gorge. The towpath is cantilevered over the trough, which is the full width of the aqueduct, so that narrow boats are able to move more freely through the water. Walkers are protected by railings on the outside edge of the towpath. Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is a protected, Grade 1 listed building, a Welsh National Monument and is one of the seven wonders of the British Inland Waterways System.  
       
   
Home Latest news Collections Gallery About Jayne Press archive Links Retailers Contact Jayne