St Katharine Docks in London, on the site of the Medieval Hospital of Saint Katharine, opened in 1828. Telford squeezed in two docks and an entrance basin, by placing the warehouses on colonnades at the very edges of the quays. His entrance lock and quay walls are still there, with unusual sliding mooring rings in the entrance basin. Across the passage to the eastern dock was an unusual footbridge of 1829 (currently known as the Telford Footbridge) mounted on rails to retract into the quays when the ships passed through. Designed by Telford s resident engineer, Thomas Rhodes, but modified by the contractor, John Lloyd, it has cantilevers made of wrought-iron bars and cast-iron counterweight boxes. When replaced in 1994, it was mounted for display above quay level and one of its two halves can be seen in this drawing, behind the elegant new bridge designed by Brian Morton. The former warehouse on the left is somewhat later. After damage in World War Two, closure in 1968 and subsequent redevelopment, little else remains from Telford's time except the bow-fronted Dockmaster s House and the giant cast-iron columns re-used from some of the architect Philip Hardwick's demolished warehouses.

 
       
   
Home Latest news Collections Gallery About Jayne Press archive Links Retailers Contact Jayne